Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hampton Update

I forgot to post this, but we went to the doctor Thursday morning for the reflux follow-up. Dr. Whitaker decided we should go ahead and go to the Pediatric GI doctor and see what he says since we are still really struggling. I told him that would be great because I still feel like there must be more we can do. I feel like the medicine is working some, but there has got to be something that works better and will help him eat more at a feeding - right now he can't eat too much because if he does it all comes up. We feed smaller amounts and more often - which is not helping me to get too much sleep!
Anyway, he gave us a referral and apparently they call and do everything there and were suppose to call us and give us the appointment time. I waited all day Thursday to hear from them and never did. So yesterday at noon, I called and had to leave a voicemail for the referral lady (there is one lady in the entire practice that handles all the referrals). She ended up calling me back around 3 and told me she didn't have any paperwork for a referral for Hampton. She told me to call Dr. Whitaker's office and let them know that it was never faxed to her and that she also needed his records. She also told me that it will be several days before we can get an appointment because once she gets the referral, she has to send it to the GI, they review it and send it back to her with the appointment time. So at the earliest, it will be later next week before we can get that appointment. Are you kidding me??? For lack of better words to get my point across - I was soooo pissed!!! I called Dr. Whitaker's office and got his nurse on the phone. She just got on the phone and said to me, "It will be this afternoon or Monday before you hear anything." Not, "hello, how can I help you," - nothing! I asked her, "it will be this afternoon or Monday for what?" She didn't realize that I had already talked to the referral lady, so I let her have it. I told her that there was a reason we got a referral and that they had dropped the ball and meanwhile my child is in pain and we now have to go through the weekend waiting to even hear from them on when the appointment will be. I was not very nice to her at all and for her to get on the phone and try to smooth it over by telling me it would be this afternoon or Monday, puhleeese!
She then told me she would call the GI dr herself and see when the earliest we could get in would be and she said she would call me back. Imagine this - she never called me back! So, you better believe I will be calling both the referral lady and the nurse I spoke with on Monday/Tuesday morning. I certainly hope they aren't closed for Columbus Day like everyone else!
I am so mad that I am considering switching doctors so I don't have to deal with people like this. We love Dr. Whitaker, but I have had two not okay incidences lately and it is enough to make me switch. But, I will let him know before I do because he has a right to know why he is about to lose two of his patients!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I will definitely pray about this. You should tell your doctor about that. I can't believe what a crazy system they have.