Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Life of Blake

I haven't really posted about Blake and Dylan lately, so I figured I would update you on how they are doing and what is going on with them. I'll start with Blake.
Blake moved to Georgia over Christmas and they are now only 3.5 hours away which makes it so much easier for Steve and me to meet and we get to see each of the boys more often. Blake started at a private/christian school on th 3rd of January and it was really bad. He was so upset when he got out of school that day. It was just so sad! First, no one talked to him and he had to eat lunch at a table all by himself - which just broke my heart. It is a private school, so there really aren't that many children to begin with. I know it is probably the age and that would have passed, but the really hard part for him was the lack of structure that the school had. Each class period they would take prayer requests which lasted about 20-30 minutes depending on the class and then once the teacher finally started teaching, the children weren't paying attention, were talking and just not what Blake is used to. I should point out that Blake was in all honors classes in a Texas school (which Texas schools are excellent to begin with), so he was used to being challenged and having some structure. This school did not offer honors classes or any kind of advanced classes for his age. He also said that when the teacher did get around to teaching that it was really slow and very hard to follow because they were so slow. He was most upset that if he stayed at that school, he was worried that he would be behind when he got to college. Luckily for us, Blake is ambitious and is working really hard to get a scholarship for college!

To make a long story short - Blake only went to the private school the one day and Steve went and enrolled him in the public school and Blake started there the following Wednesday. Apparently Georgia schools have a policy of testing people for their talented and gifted/honors classes rather than looking at their records. So, Blake went to the school on Wednesday and right away they began testing him. The school he is in doesn't offer History to 9th graders nor do they offer Spanish, but since he had already started both of those in Texas, they are letting him finish them so that he doesn't have to retake them and lose the credits he has already earned, so he does have to take some classes with Sophomores and Juniors. Of course all day on Wednesday, I was a nervous wreck and I kept praying and praying that God would help him to have a good day and that God would just put one person in his life that would befriend him so that he didn't feel so alone.
He got out of school at 2:45 and I had that phone glued to my side waiting on him to call....it took forever! He finally called around 3:10 and told me that he had a good day and that a little boy named Jordan saw him sitting at a table in the lunch room by himself and came over and invited him to sit with him and his friends (this is where I got teary-eyed). After hearing all about his day and realizing that he was now where he was supposed to be, I let him know that I had been so nervous for him all day and that I had been praying for him throughout the day. He was so sweet he said, "Thank you. I was hoping that someone would pray for me." How sweet is that?

After 2 days of testing, Blake aced the test for the honors classes and he started those last Friday. He has made a good friend in there named, Joshua, and really seems to be enjoying it. I will get to see him today when I meet Steve to drop Dylan off for the weekend and he will be coming up here the 2nd week in February for Logan's 1st birthday party. I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That post made me teary eyed too... it's so hard to fathom thinking about things like that when my boys are so young, but it won't be long! You are such a wonderful mother and your boys are blessed to have you in their lives!

Shannon said...

Blake sounds so well-rounded, Traci. You should be very proud of him! Sounds like he is doing great with the transition after all! I am so glad you will have both your boys close to home now. What a blessing! I still cannot believe they are that old! :)
Shannon